How do I read this?

You are reading a blogged novel, an adventure in virus-destroyed Philadelphia. If this is your first time, you want to go to the beginning and go forward. Posts are numbered.

Monday, June 24, 2013

10. Plan




So life became boring. Not like a little boring. Like, I’m about to fucking crush my head with a concrete block boring. I realize that it’s ‘cause I’m alone and that man is a social beast. I’m not satisfied living alone.

But really I had a whole other reason which was way more complicated, but I can’t tell you about that. I’m working up to it. That reason is the one that makes me do it- because it involves more than necessary risk.  

Part of the plan was to find some people for myself. I already told you that the VBs sometimes come out of it. They look around, and it’s like, “What the fuck is going on?” Like when a sleepwalker wakes up, or a possessed person get’s unpossessed.

The thing is, and I’ve seen this multiple times, the other VBs know. Most times it’s kind of obvious when a pack of naked humans are hunting, and one stops and looks around with an expression like, “Why are you guys naked? Why is there blood on your teeth?”

What would you do? You’d cry, and scream, maybe run, maybe fight. You wouldn’t just keep marching along like everything is okay. So the VBs know pretty quick, and they go for this person so fast, so vicious. They always kill them and eat them all the way. It’s fucking terrible to see. One second you wake up in this broken eggshell city, and the next you’re being eaten alive. They never bite these people, with an infecting bite. No. Kill them.

Jim said he thought he was immune, because he already had it. He thought that was why they killed them. They knew they were immune.

There was one guy at the Baptist Army who told a story about it. He woke up and he was sleeping in a pile of raggedy humans. There was a smell. It was the human animal. Sweat, sex, dirt. He felt really weird but he was so disoriented he didn’t move. He watched. And the others started stirring. Scratching themselves, stretching. He copied them. He was waiting for someone to say something, “Good orgy. See you next time.” But they didn’t just looked around with sullen eyes, and then a big one grunted and they all started following him. This guy jumps in. They went about two blocks before they started chasing someone. He fell behind, freaked out but what was happening. He could taste blood in his mouth. But one dropped back, a female that was kind of fat. She turned to him, while the others were hunting and sniffed. Then she screeched. He’s still bewildered, but he’s also scared as fuck, and when she did this he started jogging away. Good thing to, because in a second the VBs were surrounding him, chasing him. He ran. He said all the physical work-out of being a VB helped him because even though he was gassed, he could keep running. He made it. Like I said, he was in the Baptist Army.

He was also a story teller. But that one, I believed.

The point is, people needed an opportunity to come out of it in safety. If you could get them isolated, as VBs from the pack, there was a chance. That’s the plan.

Now you’re saying, what are the odds. And I’m asking that. Because lots of people came out of it at the beginning, but I haven’t seen it happen recently. Of course, I’m not on the streets except for food and forage runs. And then, how many would I have to have, in isolation- before one came out? It might never happen.

And then I’d keep living as before.

I picture a building. Something big with lots of rooms, I can lock them in there. And watch. The day they say, “Help?” I’ll have a friend. Of course, right now, I’m snugged into a sewer listening to them screech and smash through my carefully constructed den. It’s going to take some work.

No comments:

Post a Comment